Friday, October 26, 2012

Foodie Friday

Hey All! I thought it would be fun to switch things up a bit here at Crafting in My Closet. Besides sewing and crafting I love to cook. I love experimenting in the kitchen and I love when things turn out right. So I thought how fun would it be to have a new feature here on Crafting in My Closet where I tell you all about my cooking adventures/successes/disasters?! I can assure you not everything turns out the way I want it to but hey we're real here so its ok. So welcome to Foodie Friday!
For this first week I'm gonna share a new recipe for black bean soup. Now I know there are tons of black bean soup recipes out there, but the other night I wanted to throw something together and soup sounded so good that I just kind of winged it. Morgen liked it so much he requested I make another batch so he could take it with him to school for lunch friday as well. Score. Love when that happens!

Black Bean Soup

Ingredients

3 teaspoons better than bouillon- chicken flavor
3 cups of water
1 large onion diced
2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
6 cans of black beans (drain the liquid from 2 of the cans)
1 can of crushed tomatoes with sweet onions
1 can diced green chilies
1-2 cups of frozen corn (optional)

Makes 12 servings

1. in a large soup pot sauté onion and garlic
2. add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil
3. add 3 teaspoons of better than bouillon (can substitute 3 8oz cans of chicken broth for water and bouillon) and whisk till combined
4. add all 6 cans of black beans (drain 2 of the cans before adding them)
5. add the tomatoes
6. add the green chilies
7. add the corn if you like.
8. bring to a boil then lower to simmer.
9. let simmer for at least 1/2 hour. I let it cook for 1 hour the first time and 2 hours the second time. The longer it cooks the better it tastes.

Top with chips and cheese and you have a delicious filling meal!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin