Monday, January 18, 2010

Hey Whats for Dinner?

So since we live with Morgen's parents we have jobs to do instead of paying rent. One of my jobs is that I cook 3 nights a week. Its sometimes a challange to be able to come up with recipies that everyone will eat. Infact I would go as far as to say that there is at least one person every meal that doesn't like what I cooked. Its hard, Morgen's mom can't have a lot of salt, and thinks that Pepper is to hot of a spice, Morgen and I are allergic to fish, I don't eat read meat, and Morgen's brother's won't eat casarolle, don't even get me started on the fact that Garrick thinks Potatoes are of the devil. So when I do find a recipie that everyone likes it automaticlly becomes a favorite.
I'm one of those make up the recipie as you go along kind of people, so I didn't get this from anywhere, I made it up on the spot and It tasted wonderful!


Ingredients
1 large can low sodium chicken broth
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1/2 can of chopped green chilies
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (we freeze our onion so it is probably equal to about 1 LARGE onion)
1 1/2 cups of mixed chopped red, green and yellow peppers
2 large cans of peeled whole tomatoes (do not drain)
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 whole carrot chopped
2 celery stalks
1 cup squash (any kind)
8 teaspoons taco seasoning divided
4 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon olive oil

place 1 teaspoon olive oil in soup pot over medium high heat
Cut up chicken into small chunks
when oil starts to bubble add 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning to the oil.
mix till seasoning is fully mixed into oil
add chicken and brown.
add onions and garlic and brown,
Stir till all ingredients are mixed
Let simmer for 5 min
add peppers, carrot and celery
stir let simmer 5 min
add tomatoes black beans and green chilies
stir
let simmer 5 min.
add chicken broth, 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning.
Bring heat to low let simmer 20 min.

Serve over tortilla chips and garnish with cheese.

Enjoy!

I thought this dish might be to spicy for my MIL but even she liked it. I added some salsa to the soup when I ate it to spice it up a little.

I've uploaded this post to tip junkie, Take a look!
Tip Junkie handmade projectsgiveaways

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin